Lipstick is a $500 million a year industry – but are they using that money to harm you with cheap fillers?? Speaking of Beauty believes that beauty is about taking care of YOU from the inside out. With that in mind, I have outlined some guidelines for when you are shopping for your favorite beauty products.
Did you know…
Carmine is Beetle Wings
Lanoline is Sheep Skin
Guanine is Fish Scales
All of these things can be found in your cosmetics!! Check the labels.
Look for these dangerous ingredients, if you see them, do not use the products:
DMDM Hydantoin – Formaldehyde
PEG – Petroleum Chemicals
Parabens – Cancer Causing Preservatives
Follow these rules to be safe…
- The fewer ingredients, the better
- Look for ingredients you can pronounce
- Spend more money on less products
- Watch for the word “fragrance”, it could be anything!
- Don’t trust the FDA. In order for them to have concern with a product, it has to be proven “unequivocally” that something causes cancer
- Use Vegan products to ensure there are no animal by-products
- Be an educated consumer, use product lines that you KNOW are safe
Here are some skin saving tips for the dry weather this time of year using ingredients that can be found in your pantry.
Brown Sugar Exfoliating Scrub
Mix 2 cups of brown sugar with 1 cup of olive oil. Squeeze in a lemon for its anti-oxidant qualities. Keep in an airtight jar in your shower and use once a week to keep skin feeling soft.